Happiness is not something that is caught rather something you choose. To be joyous in your current moment is something quite unique in this fast past and instant world. Being able to sit with your emotions and be content with your feelings can lead to better decision making, reduce stress and increase resilience for the future.
This is something that I have had to consistently learn as I am someone who is quite active and love the excitement of new experiences and surprises. I don’t like to sit alone and as an extrovert I get a lot of my energy from being around people. It has taken me sometime to appreciate my introvert friends and admire their ability to sit quietly while the world is running around them.
I have come to learn that sitting quietly and being still in your current moment is one of the best things that you can do to keep your mind and emotions healthy. Whether it be meditation, resting on your lounge, sitting quietly at the beach, in a rain forest or on your balcony, being present in your moment and sitting quietly allows us to recharge and reevaluate our thought processes. This in turn helps us to remove negative thoughts and energy from our mind and bodies. It allows us to renew our minds so that we can face obstacles and daily struggles with peace and security of the strength that comes from a steadfast mind.
Taking time to sit in your moment and not to rush through your emotions allows us to do the following:
- Be better prepared for the unexpected challenges arising throughout the day
- Being able to respond rather than react to circumstances
- Free the mind of clutter and chatter and replace it with stillness
- Reevaluate our dreams, goals and desires
- Helps us to refocus on what is important in our lives
- Helps with our memory
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Shows us blockages that we have in our bodies due to emotions that we have buried
When I have sat with my emotions and let them flow naturally through my body, it allows me to experience healing and wholeness. It allows the negative energy to be bought to light which then gives me the opportunity to cast it aside and replace it with positive energy. I have found that when my body is aching or I feel stressed however am not sure why, I take a moment to just be still and listen quietly. I listen to my mind, my body and my emotions. When I do this, the negativity that I have stored away or tucked down deep within me will then be bought to the surface. I can acknowledge this negativity and let it pass. Sometimes this involves me crying, feeling sad, uncomfortable and low. However, these not so nice feelings only last a short while so that the emotions can pass through my mind and out of my body.
After I have sat still and allowed this negative energy to leave my body, I then have a great opportunity to remove unwanted emotions. I do this by naming them and acknowledging them and then getting rid of them. This in turn frees up my body to heal and be replaced with positive energy. The positive energy then leads to a better immune system, better mind and a healthier body overall.
The opposite is true if you or I carry on day after day, week and week without acknowledging our negative emotions. They fester inside us and can cause all sorts of immune deficiencies. Unresolved negative thoughts and emotions can lead to not just the common cold, it can also lead to cancer, problems with the digestive system or high blood pressure. Even though it is painful, uncomfortable and often inconvenient to sit and reflect on your emotions, bringing negative emotions to light will in the long term save you time, heartache and pain. You and I will experience a much healthier lifestyle and balance if we you choose to acknowledge and let go of the negativity.
Here is a simple exercise that I do which helps me to sit in the moment and clear my mind and body of negativity.
Colour breathing exercise:
This simple exercise allows you to focus on a colour that describes what you want to get out of your life or your negative experience or emotion. Then allows you to focus on a colour that represents how you would like to feel now.
What to do:
- Sit in a relaxed position in a quite spot where you will not be distracted
- Breathe normally and deeply – keep the breathing rhythm natural. Exhale for 4 seconds and inhale for 2 seconds.
- Now when you breathe out, just image the colour that represents the negative emotion you are feeling or what it is that you want to let out of your life. Imagine breathing out this colour.
- Then when you inhale, picture the colour of what you want to feel. Imagine yourself inhaling that colour. Pretend this colour is filtering throughout your whole body. Image the colour of this positive emotion.
- Then again as you breathe out imagine the colour that represents the negative emotion.
- Do this over and over for as short or long as you like and feel your emotions turn from negative to positive. This simple exercise can be done anywhere and reduces stress and anxiety immensely.
Being able to sit and be quiet in your present moment takes patience, time and practice. I encourage you to try it daily and see how much your life can truly change. Don’t be afraid of your negative emotions, acknowledge them, sit with them and then let them leave your body. Do not store up the negativity so it has an opportunity to rot your body. Instead enjoy the benefits of releasing the negativity and embracing the positive that is all around us daily. Detox your mind and body of the unwanted emotions and choose to live healthy, happy and free!